Published on January 1 2010.
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon white vinegar
- 240g caster sugar
- finely grated zest of 1 green [unripe] lemon
- 100g walnuts, chopped into small pieces
- cocoa, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 100°C, and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy in a KitchenAid or Kenwood mixer or with a hand-held mixer on medium speed. Add the vinegar, increase the speed a little and gradually add the sugar, in about 4 additions. Continue beating until stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold in the zest and walnuts using a metal spoon.
- Use two dessertspoons to drop rough mounds onto the prepared baking tray. Bake for 1 hour then reduce the temperature to 70°C and bake until dry [about 30 minutes–1 hour].
- Allow to cool then store in an airtight container.
- Dust lightly with cocoa before serving.