As we bid farewell to summer there is still plenty of fresh, delicious produce to get your hands on. Our friends at IGA share their tips on what produce is at its best in the cooler months:
- New season apples – available in abundance right now, especially the most popular variety, Pink Lady.
- Chestnuts – around for a short time only! Make the most of them by adding to stuffing, blending them for chestnut soup, or barbecuing for an Aussie twist on an open fire.
- Mandarins – back in season with plentiful supply right through winter. A great addition to the lunchbox for big and small people alike!
- Pears – many varieties are now more plentiful. They are delicious roasted with a sprinkling of cinnamon and brown sugar or grated over rocket with splash of white balsamic for a quick and easy salad.
- Cauliflowers and broccoli – cheaper now than in the summer months and are nutritious additions to any meal. Try them baked solo with a classic cheese sauce.
- Lemons and limes – also in abundance and are a useful ingredient to add at the end of cooking to lift and accentuate flavours instead of seasoning with salt.
Visit the IGA Victoria website for more tips on buying fruit in season.
You might also like