Our Festival friends at Peter Rowland Catering are experts at preparing large feasts, so we asked Executive Chef Neil Rocke for his secrets on how to make the ultimate roast lamb with all of the trimmings at home.
- Rub lamb with sea salt and freshly ground pepper before roasting to lock in the juices and protect the flavour;
- To add extra flavour, make small incisions in the surface of the meat and push cloves of garlic and sprigs of rosemary into the slits;
- When you drain the fat from the pan, keep a little of the pan juices to add to the gravy;
- Cook the lamb for the requisite amount of time and then let it rest for half the cooking time with foil loosely covering the meat to keep in the warmth and moisture;
- Carve the meat with a sharp knife along the grain. This will result in more tender meat;
- Twice cook roast potatoes in duck fat to make them extra crispy;
- Don’t season roast jap pumpkin until AFTER cooking as salt can break down the pumpkin during the roasting process;
- Sprinkle red onion wedges with a few drops of balsamic vinegar to bring out the richness in flavour;
- Get a little fancy with your French peas and serve them up mixed with lettuce and crispy pancetta;
- For something a little different use almond and mint sauce as an accompaniment to your roast.
Now all you need to do is get cooking! Feel free to show us your skills on Instagram using #RoastCollection.
You might also like