Plan your next weekend getaway to Gippsland where you can explore the picturesque lakes, national parks and coastal villages. Discover the rich history of the region and treat yourself to the finest regional delicacies, taste the local wines and craft brews.
We got the expert scoop of the best of the region with Jenny O’Sullivan from Gippsland Food Adventures. Running since 1968, Jenny has been theowner of Gippsland Food Adventures where she combines her passion for farming, food, wine and cooking to create innovative experiential adventures that showcase Gippsland’s fine produce and people.
HOW TO GET THERE
The fastest way to get to Gippsland from Melbourne to drive south-east along the Monash Freeway and take the M1 (Princes Freeway) through many of central Gippsland's cities and townships, including Warragul, Traralgon and Sale and on to Bairnsdale, Lakes Entrance, Orbost and Cann River. Alternatively, take the South Gippsland Highway, which runs closer to the coast through Korumburra, Leongatha and Foster before joining the Princes Highway at Sale.
Gippsland is easily accessible from Melbourne via the V/Line train service, which runs every day as far as Bairnsdale, with connecting buses to Lakes Entrance.
- Koonwarra Store is an amazing place to eat. They have lots of local produce and wine to sell as well. Great for lunch or look out for their seasonal dinners profiling local producers.
- Marty Moos, Meeniyan – a popular local café, which has dinners promoting world cuisine once a month.
- 9 Acrescoffee shop in Fish Creek for the best coffee in region after a morning walk along the Rail Trail.
- All the pubs in region have great character. Meet some locals and discover unique history of town. Meeniyan, Fish creek and Tarwin Lower have unique characters.
- Visit Alison Lester’schildren’s bookshop and meet Noni the Pony in Fish Creek
- Visit local farms and learn about how food is produced with Gippsland Food Adventures
- Check out race days for Stony Creek (near Meeniyan) and Woolamai. Have a great day of Country Racing and meet the locals
- Romantic getaway at Basia Millie, Tuscan Villa, Overlooking the Prom out of Fish Creek (weekends only)
- Any of beach houses at Sandy Point or Walkerville for great family getaway
- Wirrega the Barn at Bear Gully, accommodation that fits a few families in right on the beach. Superb indoor and outdoor living and entertaining areas for self-catering.
- The Art House Accommodation at Fish Creek is a lovely self-contained unit, perfect spot to explore the Tarwin Valley.