The Macedon Ranges boasts an thriving local gourmet food and wine culture. There's plenty of sights to see too from the floral landscapes of nurseries and gardens to one of the most iconic natural landmarks in Australia, Hanging Rock.
HOW TO GET THERE
From Melbourne, the Hume, Calder and Western highways and the Tullamarine Freeway all lead to Daylesford and the Macedon Ranges. Once there, an extensive network of peaceful back roads weave through the region to the essential indulgences of wineries, art galleries, country pubs and cafes, and secluded B&B cottages.
V/line have several train lines that service the area. Local bus companies travel between all the major towns and stop at all the region's train stations.
We sat down with Tim Austin, the Chef and Owner of La Bonta to find out his secret tips the region, because you should always trust where the chefs eat. In particular, Tim really loves Kyneton, he's been living and working in Kyneton for over 5 years.
- For fine dining, head to Source Dining - the duck is always great.
- For a leisurely Sunday afternoon on the deck watching Kyneton go by, check out the Parkland.
- My favourite breakfast can be found hidden down a laneway behind a gallery in Woodend – Café Colenso.
- Our favourite pizza in Kyneton is from Pizza Verde, try the Diavola.
- Head to Cloud 9 Farm to take in the fantastic view from their cellar door. Enjoy a glass of Shiraz with some cheese also made in house.
- Try some of the regions best wines, especially the legendary Riesling), at the cellar door of Granite Hills Winery.
- Take your time over a selection of salumi and cheese with a great glass of Pinot Noir at Passing Clouds Winery in Musk.
- Take a seat in the courtyard of Major Tom’s and enjoy a beer and a burger as the sun sets.
- Wander the galleries and shops of Piper Street, stopping for refreshments along the way.
- Visit the farmers market on Piper Street to stock up with great local produce.
- There are some great accommodation options at Flop House Kyneton, with different size properties to meet your needs.
- Angoby’s of Kyneton is a boutique B&B with lovely rooms and country hospitality.
- Mollison’s Kyneton is conveniently located in one of the town’s most striking buildings, right in the heart of town.