Come explore the iconic region of wine, waterways, wetlands and wildlife that is Nagambie. Located in an agricultural area of High Country Victoria, Nagambie offers a wide range of water activities on the lake and the neighbouring Goulburn River, and all within 90 minutes of Melbourne.
We sat down with Bruce Minchinton, who looks after the Estate Marketing of Tahbilk, one of Australia's most beautiful and historic family-owned wineries. Located in the Nagambie Lakes, the property comprises of 1,214 hectares of rich river flats. Purchased by the Purbrick family in 1925, Tahbilk is now home to 5 generations.
How to get there
From Melbourne, take the Hume Freeway to Odwyer Road in Tablik then take the exit towards C392/Nagambie from Goulbourn Valley Freeway (M39). Follow Odwyer Road and High Street to Robinson Street in Nagambie.
V/Line runs frequent train services from Southern Cross Station in Melbourne to Albury, and numerous coach services to reach the High Country region. For detailed information on train timetables, contact V/Line.
- Bank Street Pizza @ 5 Bank St, Avenel - as good a pizza as you can find with a fantastic wood-fired oven.
- Nagambie Lakes Entertainment Centre @ 301-305 High St, Nagambie - great bistro room overlooking the lake at Nagambie. Enjoy great pub grub at an awesome place to view sunsets. Try the baked barramundi fillet with a coconut, turmeric and lemongrass broth.
- Phillips & Co. - best breakfast in Nagambie. A favourite is the Shakshouka or the corn fritters.
- For great wine… find yourself spoilt for choice with 3 wineries producing individual styles. Tahbilk (est. 1860) is renowned for its history and produce wines of great provenance. Famous for their Marsanne, it is one of the few Australian white wines that cellars and improves with age. Fowles Wine make wines specifically to match game foods. Try their “Ladies Who Shoot Lunch” Pinot Noir.
- Finally, Mitchelton wines just make great wine, particularly their Blackwood Park Riesling. All 3 wineries open 10am – 5pm.
- Polly McQuinn’s Reserve, Strathbogie – a water reservoir up in the Strathbogie ranges. Great place for a picnic and soaking in the history to discover the reason behind the name.
- Goulburn Weir & - built in the 1890’s to store and distribute irrigation water to Northern Victoria, the Goulburn Weir is a testament to engineering of the day. The weir forms around Lake Nagambie where you can have fun with an assortment of water-based activities, from fishing to rowing and power boat sports.
- Hide and Seek, Kirwans Bridge – comprising of a winery and 2 river-sand beaches offering volleyball, sun lounges and BBQ dining facilities, this resort is the perfect getaway for both fun and relaxation.
- Roscrea, High Street, Nagambie – an 1890’s Victorian home located in Goulburn Valley, Roscrea has that old world ambience with the feel of home.
- The Jetty, High Street, Nagambie – surrounded by heavenly views, The Jetty is a well-kept secret jewel in North East Victoria.