Charlie Trotter's Chilled Clear Tomato Water
- 2 small lobster tails, cooked and cleaned
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon togarashi
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon chilli paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely julienned jicama
- 1 ½ tablespoon finely julienned zucchini
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely julienned yellow squash
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely julienned tomato
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely julienned red bell pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chervil
- 1 tablespoon opal basil
- ½ tablespoon cilantro
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and scooped in Parisienne balls
- 12 tiny red current tomatoes
- 12 tiny yellow current tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons peeled and finely diced zucchini, blanched
- 2 tablespoons peeled and finely diced apple
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 red jalapeno, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 2 cups Tomato water (recipe follows)
- 6 Large beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Cut the cucumber into 8 1 inch thick pieces. Using a round cutter or paring knife remove the skin from the cucumber. Hollow out the cucumber pieces using a Parisienne scoop to make 8 cups
- In a small bowl whisk together the sesame oil, tamari, rice wine vinegar, togarashi, and chilli paste. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss together the julienned jicama, zucchini, yellow squash, tomato, and red bell pepper with 2 ½ tablespoons of the sesame oil vinigarette. Place some of the julienned vegetable mixture into each cucumber cup. Season the tomato waster lightly with salt and pepper. Chill.
- Slice the lobster tails into 8 medallions each and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bland the tomatoes and salt in a food processor. Tie up the contents in cheesecloth and allow the liquid to drip into a large bow. It is best to do this overnight in the refrigerator. The colour of the tomato water will very with the type of the tomato used and the time of year. Tomato water can be kept for 3-4 days in the refrigerator, or it can be frozen.
Place two of the cucumber cups in the centre of each bowl. Stew the avocado, current tomatoes, plums, zucchini, apple and chillies into each bowl. Arrange 4 of the lobster medallions in each bowl. Sprinkle with a few snipped chives and the picked herbs. Add ½ cup of tomato water to each bowl and drizzle the remaining sesame oil vinaigrette around the bowl.
Find out more