18 pieces of watermelon cut into approx 10cm x 12cm
2 tablespoons of builders lime
2 litres of water
1 kg of sugar
1 ¾ cup water
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons of vanilla sugar
- Peel the outside skin (green part) of the watermelon. Take the red watermelon flesh away from the white flesh. The white part of the skin must be at least 1cm in thickness.
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons of builders lime in 3 litres of cold water and add the watermelon pieces. Leave for 2 hours. Wash the pieces thoroughly 2-3 times in cold water. Then place in a large pot covered in cold water.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Place a skewer in a piece of watermelon skin. If it falls off easily from the skewer it is ready to remove from the pot. Remove the watermelon from the pot and keep it dry.
- To make syrup: add sugar and water in a pot and bring to the boil. Add your watermelon pieces. Let the pieces simmer until the syrup thickens slightly. Add lemon juice and vanilla sugar for 5 minutes and let it simmer.
- Once cooled in the pot of syrup you can bottle it into sterilised jars. It should keep for up to 12 months.