Melbourne Food and Wine Festival's culinary legend Jacques Reymond shares his recipe for White Asparagus a L'Orange.
- 500g white asparagus
- 100ml pure virgin olive oil
- 20ml hazelnut oil
- 2 red witlof
- 100ml orange juice
- 50g hazelnuts
- 1tbsp wakame (dried seaweed)
- 150g mild Roquefort or another type of blue cheese
- 50ml rice vinegar
- 200g shemeje mushrooms
- Flake salt, pepper,
- 1 young snow pea tendril (living ones)
- 1 micro red shiso
- 1 micro green radish
- Juice 1 lime
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Soak the wakame with 4 tbsp of cold water.
- Roast the hazelnuts in an oven at 170˚C for 3 minutes, peel them and crush coarsely
- Separate all the leaves of witlof.
- In a pan, make a dry caramel with the sugar, then deglaze with rice vinegar, add orange juice and reduce by half.
- Add witlof leaves and cook for 1 minute. Reserve.
- Strain the juices into a bowl, add 50ml olive oil and hazelnut oil as well as the lime juice and emulsion well to obtain a good dressing.
- Peel the asparagus, place in a roasting pan with the rest of the olive oil and roast the asparagus for 3 minutes.
- When the asparagus is three-quarters cooked, add shemeje mushrooms and toss all together.
- If necessary, add a touch more olive oil. Season with salt and pepper
To serve, place the asparagus and shemeje on the plate, sprinkle with crumbled Roquefort, hazelnuts and wakame. Place witlof leaves on top and coat generously with the dressing. Garnish with the herbs.
Find out more