4 sheets filo pastry (fresh from the refrigerated section at the supermarket)
50g unsalted butter
4 strawberries (sliced thinly)
4 large scoops of vanilla ice-cream (scooped nice & tightly)
- Prepare your plastic container for storage.
- Melt butter.
- Place one sheet of filo pastry on a large chopping board. Brush the whole sheet lightly with melted butter.
- Place another sheet of filo on top to form 2 layers. Cut the Filo in half so you have 2 squares.
- Brush around the border of each square lightly with melted butter.
- Lay down 3 or 4 slices of strawberry in the centre of each square of pastry.
- Place the scoop of ice-cream on top of the strawberry.
- Fold 2 diagonal corners of the pastry over the ice-cream & strawberries in the centre. Then take the 2 remaining corners and bring them up to the centre to make a parcel shape.
- Place in the freezer immediately.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the pastry. A whole packet of filo pastry makes approx. 24 ice-cream parcels. Freeze straight after making.
- When cooking – please use the pre-set recipe in the Vzug Combi- Steam Oven.
- Set on Gourmet Steam - G15 & follow the steps to pre-heat. Once the oven is pre-heated it will beep to let you know.
- Place ice-cream in the oven when pre-heated & press OK button, cook for the 3 minutes required.
- Ice-Creams in filo pastry when made up need to be frozen for at least 24 hours before baking for best results.
- Use a plastic Tupperware Container with a lid to store the ice-creams in the freezer (they can be bought from the supermarket or $2 shop)
A large rectangular container holds 6 ice-creams in the freezer. Line the bottom of the container with baking paper before placing the ice-creams in and seal with the lid.
TIP: You can use different sliced fruit eg. mango or banana in the bottom instead of strawberries or even a thin slice of swiss roll or chocolate brownie instead of the fruit. Different flavours of ice-cream can also be used – Try pear slices with chocolate Ice-cream or banana slices with cookies & cream ice-cream. Yum!
Serving suggestions: Fresh Fruit on the side with Raspberry Coulis, Chocolate Sauce or Custard Anglaise.