Let poached chicken be your friend. Poach your chicken in advance and whip up gorgeous salads, such as this one from Relish Mama's new cookbook Family in no time at all.
Here's some tips and tricks to the perfect poached chicken.
- 2 cups of poached chicken or use leftover roast or bbq chicken
- 1 carrot, finely cut into strips or use a julienne peeler
- 2 cups wombok (Chinese cabbage), finely shaved
- 1 cup red cabbage, finely shaved
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ handful of fresh coriander leaves (optional)
- 1 long red chilli, de-seeded and finely sliced or diced
- A small handful of roasted peanuts
- A small handful of crispy shallots
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
Step One: Shred the chicken and set aside.
Step Two: For the dressing, whisk together all of the ingredients to combine or use a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake to combine.
Step Three: Place the carrot, wombok, cabbage, herbs and chilli in a large bowl with the shredded chicken.
Step Four: Pour the dressing over the salad along with half of the peanuts. Toss gently to combine.
Step Five: Serve topped with the remaining peanuts and crispy shallots.
Learn more from the master behind Relish Mama and their range of cookbooks, Nellie Kerrison, at Cooking for Family, a cooking class extravaganza for the family's future child, teen or adult chef prodigy.