65g plain flour
150g pine nuts
225g unsalted butter
250g caster sugar
6 eggs, separated
300g fresh ricotta
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Butter a 25cm round or bundt tin and line with greased baking paper.
3. Finely grate the lemon zest and juice all 6 lemons. Combine the flour, pine nuts and lemon zest. Beat the butter and sugar together in an electric mixer until pale and light, then add the egg yolks, one by one. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture.
4. Place the ricotta in a bowl and lightly beat with a fork. Add the lemon juice.
5. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the flour mixture and, finally, stir the ricotta mixture in.
6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in oven for 35-40 minutes. The cake is cooked when a skewer is inserted and comes out clean. Remove the cake from the tin while warm and leave to cool on a cake rack.
This is an edited extract from Siciliano by Joseph Vargetto, published by Melbourne Books (RRP $49.95). Available from 24 November from good booksellers, online and in-store.
Sign up to our weekly news on Victoria's best food and drink.